From Bloons ShoutWiki
When your talk page is too long and it's hard to load and edit it, you should archive it.
How to archive my talk page?
- Move your talk page, eg. user talk:Jack Phoenix, into other title, which say that is an archive (eg. user talk:Jack Phoenix/Archive 1).
- Replace redirect from your talk page with link to the archive.
- Link the archive to your talk page and recreate your talk page, adding in any header you had.
Lots of people use other method of archiving. They simply copy a text from page, paste it into an archive, and remove content from talk page. That's a mistake – using that method you lose history of archive, so it's harder to confirm an authorship of concrete part of text.
Can I use this method to any other type of pages?
Of course! You can archive all discussions, votings, forums, etc. using this method.
Other common reasons to archive comments:
- The wiki has a rule about not removing talk page comments and you want to remove something from a talk page.
- It is an old discussion that is finished and no longer needed.
- A passed or failed featured article, admin request etc.